Crete’s premier boutique-style hotel for independent solo travellers launches its 2023 season with a series of inspiring themed weeks for guests.
Activities range from a Walking Week with the chance to explore off-the-beaten-track routes across Western Crete, to a relaxing Yoga and Wellbeing Week.
There’s also the chance to learn more about the island’s healthy Mediterranean cuisine with a Flavours of Crete week where guests can discover the provenance of delicious ingredients and use them as they cook up a range of fabulous dishes.
For those looking to be creative, the Mistral Hotel in Maleme near Chania offers an inspirational Photography Week with expert tuition on how to get the most out of your camera equipment and shoot stunning images at some of the best locations on Greece’s largest island.
Later in the season, the creative streak continues with a Writing Week where guests can hone their skills to produce interesting and entertaining articles or blogs about their holiday or other travel experiences.
- The Walking Week (April 25-May 2) features four walks over the seven days through the rugged beauty of western Crete, as well as the chance to experience the culture, history, flora and fauna of the island.
- The Flavours of Crete Week (May 2-9) is a unique opportunity to eat, and learn how to cook a range of traditional Cretan dishes and features hands-on cookery classes, a behind-the-scenes insight into olive oil production, foraging in the hotel garden, wine tasting, and the opportunity to meet local artisan producers and restaurateurs to discuss dishes and ingredients.
- The Yoga and Wellbeing break (May 9-16) sees guests immersed in a healthier approach to life with organic vegetarian food, herbal teas, massage, sound therapy and Yoga sessions for all levels. The themed break centres around five Yoga sessions led by instructor Aspasia, who has created a programme that combines Hatha, Vinyasa and Iyengar Yoga with mudras and marmas, and is specifically designed to restore health and vitality.
- The Photography Week (May 16-23) is a chance to learn a range of new camera techniques and skills, and offers a fantastic opportunity to photograph locations from the famed archaeological sites of the Minoans and Ancient Greeks, to beautiful remote villages and pristine beaches.
- Later in the season, the writing retreat (July 18-25) will inspire and provide guests with new skills and the opportunity to transform their ‘holiday’ into an informative and entertaining article or blog. Set against a magical Mediterranean backdrop, tutoring will focus on writing tips and angles to pursue, combined with visits to diverse locations, as well as offering the opportunity to relax in the Cretan sunshine.
Hotel guest manager Anja Tsifaki told Essential Journeys: “Our themed weeks are designed to enable guests to learn fresh skills and enjoy new experiences, whilst also enjoying the relaxing surroundings and the friendly and welcoming environment of the Mistral Hotel. For each week, we have assembled expert and experienced tutors and guides to ensure guests get the most out of their stay during the themed weeks, and learn new skills, too.”
The weeks also include visits to wonderful beaches, and a trip out for a fish lunch at Sfinari to savour the famous Kakavia soup, as well as excursions to other lovely locations.
Hotel owner Adonis Gialamarakis said: “Alongside our themed weeks, we are also open for guests who want to just come and stay with us, find their own way around western Crete, relax by our two pools and enjoy our famed cuisine, or explore with our exclusive range of excursions.”
With a friendly and welcoming ambience, the Mistral Hotel has 35 luxury rooms – all for single occupancy – two pools, a spa, and an outdoor bar and a restaurant.
Within easy reach of stunning beaches such as Elafonisi or Falasarna and many historic and archaeological sites, the Mistral is renowned for the traditional Cretan cuisine it serves, where the emphasis is on “homegrown home-made” Cretan fayre.
*The themed weeks start from €1,358 (including airport transfers).
**Seven nights in a standard room at the Mistral during the season starts from €1036.
The Mistral Hotel is located at Maleme near Chania in western Crete. It is run by the Gialamarakis family, and is within easy reach of fabulous beaches such as Falasarna and Elafonisi, as well as the Samaria Gorge. Visit: www.singlesincrete.com