Travel specialist company Large Minority will be spreading its wings to introduce its tuk-tuk adventures to Europe in 2023.
Trips will be offered as set date group departures where friends, families and couples can join as teams of two or three people in a unique week-long self-drive tuk-tuk tour of northern Italy, or alternatively can be booked for individual travel for flexible durations.
Since launching their first tuk-tuk adventure in Sri Lanka back in 2009, the Lanka Challenge, Large Minority has been creating and running fully supported tuk-tuk trips to far-flung destinations including India, Pakistan, Cambodia and South America ever since.
Italy is the company’s first European destination having developed a new base for a fleet of Piaggio Apes near Milan. Italy presents the perfect location where taking a slow and picturesque tour by Tuk-Tuk can combine fun, adventure and great food with an element of cultural immersion using the classic three-wheeler Ape, otherwise known as a tuk-tuk with an Italian accent!
There will be ten, eight-night group trips offered during 2023 (April to October) priced from £1,500 per person, or weekends can be arranged from £545 per person.
The new trips depart from Milan and have a distinctly foodie theme where participants are invited to join other two- or three-strong teams and explore northern Italy over a week. The route takes a leisurely tour up to Lake Como, dropping down to the coast and returning to Milan covering around 100km per day. Teams are asked to complete fun challenges as part of their journey as well as helping them accrue points as they spend time exploring and no doubt getting lost at times down idyllic country lanes. Participants will be supplied with a welcome pack with map, T-shirt, phrasebook and navigational sheets for their journey.
The adventure takes a circular route from Milan heading north to explore Lombardy and the lakes with overnights in Bellagio, then crossing over to Angero before heading south for Piedmont, famous for rich pastas and truffles with an overnight stay in the Barolo wine region. The route then drops down to Liguria and the coast staying in Arenzano before heading north to explore the Emilia-Romagna region en route back to Milan.
Each evening, teams meet up at the designated pre-booked hotels to swap stories with fellow adventurers. At the end of the week there is a farewell party and awards ceremony where the team with the most points for the challenges will be named a winner. The trip works equally well for those wishing to go with just one vehicle for a solo tour, or with a few friends adding a fun competitive spirit in the trip.
For those short of time or needed more flexibility with dates outside the set ones, Large Minority will also be offering the chance to book flexible durations as well as weekend breaks which start from £545 per person for a two-night tuk-tuk tour.
- To book one of the new Italy adventures or find out about the further flung Large Minority tuk-tuk challenges to India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Cambodia visit www.largeminority.travel or call +44 7739 826279.
- The -eight-night trips are priced from £1,500 per person based on three travelling together and £1,700 on two. This includes eight nights’ accommodation in individually chosen boutique hotels throughout the trip, breakfast each morning and two dinners.
- There are 10 set departure dates between April and October 2023 for the group trips here. Flexible dates are offered for independent trips for weekenders or other durations.
Not included in the price:
- Return flights (Milan) and airport transfers
- Tuk-Tuk spare parts and repairs
- Fuel (allow around £100 per team)
- Meal costs excluding breakfast and the first and last night dinners which are included