Nanteos Mansion, located just outside Aberystwyth, has a lovely Valentine’s escape on offer
Packed full of history, Nanteos is a country house that happens to be a hotel. The building sits on the site of a house that dated back to 11th century. The walls and original flooring can be found in the hotel’s cellars. The construction of Nanteos, as it is now known, began in 1739 under the direction of Thomas Powell, MP for Cardiganshire, funded by the wealth of his wife Mary Frederick, granddaughter of Sir John Frederick, Lord Mayor of London. In its heyday the estate covered 33,000 acres.
Now covering 30 acres, guests tend to visit Nanteos for romantic breaks and to explore the local countryside and coastal scenery. The property is also dog-friendly. Many of the original features remain, including the kitchen, complete with range, copper pans and kettles. This is now the breakfast room. With worn stone flagged floors, the house is full of original art, including the portraits of the original owners.
Available from Wednesday 13 to Sunday 17 of February, the Valentine’s escape package costs from £333 for two nights for two people, and includes:
- 2 night stay in a luxury double room with full Welsh breakfast (upgrades subject to availability)
- Flowers, a trio of Da Mhile Gins and heart-shaped homemade shortbread in the room on arrival
- Pre-dinner classic cocktails and canapés
- Five-course dinner in the Nightingale restaurant
- 20 per cent off dinner if guests choose to dine the second night
- A handmade love spoon as a special gift from Nanteos
- Nanteos Mansion, Rhydyfelin, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 4LU. Telephone 01970 600522, web www.nanteos.com